• Chrysler
  • Dodge
  • Jeep
  • Ram

Coppus Motors

2190 W Market St
Directions Tiffin, OH 44883

  • Sales: (888) 274-4116
  • Service: (877) 492-5008
  • Parts: (877) 389-3625

History of Coppus Motors

Coppus Motors was established in 1927 by Harry Coppus Sr. in Fostoria, Ohio. The company was founded on the principle that the public is entitled to the best service possible to satisfy their transportation needs and to always, "Give customers a little more than they expect." Harry's ethical business practices based on honesty and integrity have been the foundation of Coppus Motors, leading to a successful three generation family business still operating today.

During those first few years Harry Coppus Sr. sold Pontiac, Plymouth, Oakland and Hupmobile Automobiles. In 1933, during the Great Depression, the dealership moved to Tiffin, Ohio then selling Studebaker, Hudson, International Trucks and Schultz House Trailers.

In the early 1940's Harry Coppus Jr. opened a Nash Dealership next to his fathers. During the 40's, 50's, and 60's, the automobile manufacturer's changed, but Studebaker remained with Coppus Motors until they stopped production in 1966. When Harry Coppus Sr. retired in 1964, Coppus was selling Studebaker, Dodge, American Motors, Jaguar, Triumph, MG, and Mercedes-Benz. At that time, Harry Coppus Jr. took over both dealerships. In 1976 Jeep was added, as well as Chrysler in 1989 to complete the current lineup.

During the late 1940's, Harry Coppus Sr. became interested in imported vehicles from Europe. He then connected with an importer from New York by the name of Max Hoffman, who had exclusive rights for the US market for almost every European manufacturer. Starting in the late 1940's, Harry Coppus Sr. became one of the first import dealers in the Midwest, selling MG, Triumph, Austin Healy, Jaguar, Porsche, VW, Alfa Romeo, Singer, Isetta, Renault and Mercedes-Benz. According to third generation owner, John Coppus, "Coppus Motors purchased their first Mercedes-Benz for resale in 1954, making them arguably the oldest dealership in the United States still selling Mercedes-Benz."

In 1956, the initial meeting of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America was held at Coppus Motors in Tiffin, Ohio. The Mercedes-Benz Club of America now has over 30,000 members throughout the United States.

In 1934, a low point because of the Depression, Coppus Motors sold 14 New Cars and had only 4 employees. In 2016, Coppus Motors sold over 900 new and pre-owned vehicles with over 40 full-time and part-time employees.

John Coppus, Harry Coppus Jr's son, started full time in the business in 1980 and took over operations of the business from his father in the late 1980's. During these years the business continued to expand and made numerous improvements to the current location. In 2012, John Coppus made a commitment to the future with extensive remodeling and additions to the facilities. These include doubling the size of the Mercedes-Benz showroom, remodeling the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep showroom and renovating the Administration Office, Parts Department, Service Reception Area and Service Bays. The exterior appearance took on a completely new look with added parking spaces.

Coppus Motors had an eventful 2014, starting with the addition of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter franchise, including an additional building expansion in the Service Department to be able to fully service all Sprinter and Metris vans. Also, Coppus Motors expanded by purchasing additional land to accommodate a growing business. Finally, in 2014 Coppus Motors earned a 50 year Dodge Dealer Award, as well as the prestigious Mercedes-Benz Best of the Best award, which also was earned in 2008 and again in 2016. 

Building an automobile dealership, based on ethical business practices that emphasize honesty and integrity, has allowed Coppus Motors to proudly be in business for over 90 years.